Welcome Message

This blog has all my coursework that I am currently studying for AS Media. Please feel free to read and comment.

Thursday 30 September 2010

Camera and lighting

In todays lesson we were in the CLC. Mr Holloway introduced us to the lighting and camera kit that they have. We were taught how to set them up and that by setting up the lighting stands at a low angle gave it more stability. We then had to set up a scene using a table and 2 models. 


He showed us how to light the models by using the lights and how you can move the camera to give different shots. Each of which gave a different effect. After break, Amanda and myself chose to be models. During which Mr Holloway told the class that by setting up the camera and lighting in different places and using different shades of light. The shot could have a different effect. It could give out a different meaning. He also taught us about the Rule of Thirds. It is about how the shot can be divided into 3 sections and it is useful to have a good shot by using the rule. He said that by placing the actors eyes onto the top third, your shot becomes better when it comes to editing. 


I found today to be very useful as I understand how you can can get different times of the day, different meanings and different shots all by moving the camera and adjusting the level of light on a scene. I think that this may prove useful to me for my preliminary exercise as I can use the camera and lighting more to my advantage when it comes to filming. 


I think that spending to day lessons in the CLC have helped to understand how Media is used more and what effect, feeling and meaning you can get from it. Finally I think that now with what I have learnt today I can use it to help me analyse films, T.V. Dramas and more. 

1 comment: